Homemade Crayons





I have been trying to think of something I can give my students for Christmas and for Valentine's day. I was searching around the blogging world and found a great idea and the best part about it was that I had all the supplies and didn't have to spend a cent.

In my class I have a bucket of old crayons. I always find crayons laying around my classroom so I throw them in the bucket or students put their old crayons in the bucket that they don't want anymore. Most of the crayons are broken and very dull. Thus, creating a difficult time coloring with the crayons. I thought it would be fun to "recycle" the crayons and make something useful again. I found this idea over at Making Memories... One fun thing after another.

Here are the instructions to making cute homemade crayons. They are so easy, fun, and exciting!

* Make sure all the paper is removed (Garrett discovered that removing the paper is easiest by slicing the paper with an x-acto knife).

* You can use any kind of baking pan. I used a silicone one that has six heart shapes in them. (Thanks to my mother-in-law)

* Add like colors. I think it looks neat when you mix the same colors but one color is a darker shade. It makes for a cool effect!

* Bake in a 200 degree oven for about 30 minutes. The bigger the pieces the longer the cooking time.

* Remove from the oven and let them cool completely!

* Once cool, pop them out of the pans.


I put two in a sandwich bag and tied a ribbon around them to give to my students. Hopefully they will appreciate them. I sure had fun making them.



6 comments:

  1. you are such a gifted daughter. So lucky to have Garrett to give you good ideas also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog!! It was so fun looking back on your posts! I am glad you are enjoying teaching and you were a beautiful bride! I hope all is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those turn out so cute! I love your creative blog. Good work, cuz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT idea Lindsay!!! Your students will LOVE their Christmas gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking to us =o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great project! I found you through the linking party at The Frugal Girls! :)
    I'd like to invite you to join my T.G.I.F. Linky Party to share your fabulous projects. I'm looking to grow my weekly party with fabulous projects just like this one. Here is the direct link and I hope you can visit sometime.
    Tracy
    T.G.I.F. Linky Party every Thursday evening - Tuesday

    ReplyDelete