I LOVE LOVE LOVE strawberries!!! However, I have never been a jam or jelly girl. In the past, I always just put butter on my toast. Occasionally, I would put peanut butter. Never jam or jelly though. I never cared for the taste. That was until a friend made me strawberry freezer jam. It is absolutely tasty and so much better than store bought jam. I was amazed at how cheap and simple it is to make strawberry jam. Now, during the summer when strawberries are on sale (between $.75 and $1.25) I buy a bunch and make freezer jam. That way I have jam to last me the entire year.
This recipe can be found inside the Sure Jell Fruit Pectin box.
* 4 cups of sugar
*1 box of pectin
*2 cups crushed fresh strawberries (about 1 1/2 pounds)
* 3/4 cup water
1. You first mash up the strawberries in a food processor. I used our vita-mix, which mixed up the strawberries a little more than I would have liked.
2. Then add 4 cups of sugar (I know, it's a lot).
3. Next, make the pectin as directed on the box.
4. Once the pectin is ready, stir it into the sugar and strawberries.
5. Put it into containers and let sit for 24 hours. I used Ball plastic freezer containers.
6. Put it in your freezer. You can keep it in your fridge if you are going to eat it right away.