I'm a Mom!

This year seems to be the year of the babies.  Many of my friends have had babies recently or are currently pregnant.  It seems like anytime I get on facebook at least one of my friends has posted something about being pregnant or posted pictures of their new little addition to their family.  Many times I have read a status like, "When will this baby come?"   It seemed like everyone around me was waiting for their babies to arrive and their babies just didn't want to come as soon as their mommy wanted them here.  I never once even thought this.  In fact, I was quite the opposite.  I went to my doctor appointment two and a half weeks before my due date.  Everything went well and as I was heading out the door my doctor said to me, "I won't be here next week."  I knew she was going to be out of town and I had an appointment already set up with another doctor.  I didn't realize where she was going with things until she said, "All of my partners are great at delivering babies." I'm sure I gave her a frightened look and replied, "I am not due for another two weeks."  My doctor confidently looked at me and said, "This baby is coming sooner."  At that point I was flooded with emotions.  The main emotion was stress.  I had way too much to get done before our little guy arrived.  I hurried home with a car full of baby presents that I received from the wonderful staff at my school.  I put everything away and got the baby room organized.  I continued to work nonstop for the entire weekend.  I wrote about 30 thank you cards, cleaned the entire house, went shopping for groceries and other essentials, planned over a month worth of sub plans, went to church, and packed a hospital bag.  Late Sunday night I started feeling what I thought were contractions, but I wasn't too sure.  They hurt, but I could deal with them.  I have a high tolerance for pain and wondered if I ought to go to the hospital.  I didn't want to go and get turned away.  Eventually, I fell asleep.  The next morning I woke up feeling pretty good, with little pain.  I went to work and about lunch time I was feeling it!  I struggled walking around and as the day went on I realized that I probably was having contractions.  My students could tell that I wasn't doing to well.  One of them said "Mrs. Mattson, are you going to have your baby today?  Do we get to see him?"   I continued teaching until the students went home at 3:45.  At 4:00 some teachers came into my classroom and told me that I needed to get to the hospital.  I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to work the next day so I tried getting things ready for a sub.  I struggled to find the energy to get things together.  The teachers told me I needed to get going and they would take care of things.  I went to the office to let the principal know that this baby was going to be coming soon and that I probably wouldn't be there the following day.  By the time I was done talking, everyone told me I needed to get out of there!   I got home at about 4:30 pm and got a few more things ready for the hospital.  Garrett was at BYU.  I didn't want to bother him by having him come home early. But by about 5 pm my contractions were about 3-4 minutes apart and I was in a lot of pain. Garrett made it home by 6:10 and we sped to the hospital.  We checked in at the hospital at 6:30 pm and Rylan made his appearance at 9:22 pm.  He was eager to join our family. He is so precious and sweet.  We love him and are so excited to watch him learn and grow.


1 comment:

  1. What a great story! You are a trooper to keep going through your day as if nothing was happening... those contractions HURT! I'm so happy for you and your husband, Rylan is precious and so handsome!