Healthy Snacks

     

      I went downstairs this morning and my husband showed me a new app he put on his phone.  It counts your calories for you and does some other things.  I didn't pay too much attention to the app, just to his motivation behind it.  The first shocking thing was that his breakfast this morning, Captain Crunch, took up half of what his calories were suppose to be for the entire day.  That's when I realized we needed to change the food in our house.  We have healthy cereals because that's all that I give my son, Rylan.  But, we have quite a few unhealthy yummy cereals.  Fruit loops are my weakness.  They are so good.  We have decided to change the way we eat and focus on healthy foods.
   I went shopping today and bought some more snacks that I could put in our fridge and cupboard that are easy, healthy, and on the go snacks.  Some items I bought were raisins, eggs to boils, sunflower seeds, string cheese, and yogurt.  I put them in serving size plastic containers and baggies.  I got an empty bucket and filled it with all the healthy snacks and put it in my cupboard.  I emptied out one of my produce drawers in my refrigerator and filled it with snacks too.  I am excited to have healthier food options in my kitchen.  Truthfully, I love most healthy foods, it just isn't always as convenient.  By putting forth a little extra effort after coming home from the grocery store healthy snacks will be just as convenient as easy to grab junk foods.

Here is a list of healthy snacks that are easy to grab and eat.  I wish I had a better knowledge of nutrition and what foods are healthiest for us. But, I don't... and I am not going to let that stop me from trying to be healthy.  I am going to put forth an extra effort to learn what foods are best for us.  I know some foods can be deceiving, such as some types of yogurts aren't as healthy as other types of yogurts.  However, I am clueless on that matter.  Feel free to share your knowledge with me.

I put together a list of healthy snacks to help my family keep our kitchen stocked up with quick and easy healthy foods:
  1. String cheese
  2. Cubed cheese
  3. Carrot sticks
  4. Celery sticks
  5. Cucumber slices
  6. Cherry tomatoes
  7. Snap peas
  8. Broccoli
  9. Green/Red pepper slices
  10. Sliced apples
  11. Grapes
  12. Pineapple chunks
  13. Strawberries
  14. Kiwis
  15. Peaches
  16. Grapefruit
  17. Bananas
  18. Pears
  19. Cherries
  20. Cubed watermelon
  21. Cubed cantaloupe
  22. Orange slices
  23. Mandarin oranges
  24. Bags of berries (blueberries, raspberries)
  25. Hard boiled eggs
  26. Applesauce
  27. Cottage cheese
  28. Wraps
  29. Trail mix
  30. Walnuts
  31. Raisins
  32. Craisins
  33. Peanuts
  34. Almonds
  35. Cashews
  36. Sunflower seeds
  37. Dried fruit (apples, strawberries)
  38.  Healthy popcorn
  39. Granola Bars
  40. Pretzels
  41. Fruit leathers
  42. Whole grain crackers
  43. Rice cakes
  44. Edamame
  45. Frozen yogurt dots
  46. Fruit dipped in yogurt and then frozen
  47. Frozen grapes (Grapesicles)
  48. Frozen go-gurts
  49. Black beans
  50. Pickles
  51. Humus
  52. Peanut butter
  53. Laughing cow cheese
  

Combinations of snacks:
  1. Crackers with laughing cow cheese
  2. Apples and peanut butter
  3. Yogurt parfait (yogurt, granola, fruit)
  4. Whole grain tortilla, cheese, and black beans to make a quesadilla
  5. Smoothies
  6. Tuna + crackers
  7. Pita bread + humus
  8. Rice cake + humus
  9. Cucumbers + humus
  10. Rice cakes + peanut butter
  11. Sliced banana + peanut butter
  12. Apple slices + yogurt
  13. Cottage cheese + fruit
  14. Toast + peanut butter
  15. Ants on a log (celery, peanut butter, and raisins)
  16. Fruit Kabobs

What would be in your healthy snack container or drawer?

No comments:

Post a Comment